Despite having spent most of my adult life toying with Paleo and Low Carb dieting I really enjoy a sandwich. When trying to find the balance between something to itch that carby scratch but not blow up my food budget I like usually turn to an egg white sandwich. I’ll pair it with soup or a salad if I’m trying to make a meal, but mostly tend to just eat this as a delicious snack. It takes about 5-6 minutes to make.
All the ingredients are in the photo above, minus: salt, pepper and cooking spray.
- Toast the English Muffin
- While it’s toasting separate the yolk and egg white (I use to save the yolk pretending I’d make custard but I was lying to myself, you do what’s best for you and your conscious with the yolks, I “discard” them)
- Spray a pan with cooking spray and set it to medium heat
- Once the spray starts to brown, dump the eggs
- Your English muffin should be toasted by now
- Spread one half with mustard
- Put the cheese on the other half and put it under the broiler until melted. (you can skip the melting part but it ALWAYS tastes so much better)
- Flip the egg once the whites start to firm up and turn off the heat. They will keep cooking as you prep the rest of the sandwich
- Put the basil and tomato on the mustard half of the English muffin. Salt and pepper if you like
- Add the egg to the cheesy side
- Smash it together and enjoy
So, yeah, in the above photo I am measuring my cheese. When I have the time, I do this, it helps with portion control. My mind can’t get around how small 1 oz of cheese looks, BUT when I use this amount for a snack it normally satisfies. #stopsovereating